Tuesday, May 13, 2008

4,100 Feet

I have positioned myself for Lola Pass. I have learned to end the day before a high climb as close as you can and start fresh. One surprise was that as I got above 2500 there was more and more snow. When I was 15 miles out I ran into 2 rangers and told me that the Campground was closed. They said to camp on any piece of grass anywhere and I could find none. Which worked out best for this very tired and very cold biker. 4100 feet is cold and I rode about three hours in a cold rain and was on the road longer than I would like to admit. Boo hoo, I road along the Lochsa River for 60 miles and I will miss it, today I had a moose in the road ahead of me, when I was talking to a bear baiter a large deer walked out behind us. This guy was telling that the ranch he works for has 250,000 acres, who cuts the lawn? Finally as I worked to finished my day a Bald Eagle came over no more than 20' above I also crossed the Lewis and Clark trail. Man that was a group of tough people. I had the best of days and one of my hardest as I went up hill for 60 miles. I will ride and walk Lola Pass tomorrow.

No comments: